Burn for Burn

Burn for Burn  - Jenny Han, Siobhan Vivian 3.5/5*

On initially picking up Burn for Burn, I was slightly hesitant. The premise was different from anything I'd previously read and I'd also not read anything by the two authors previously. In the end though, I'm so glad I gave Burn for Burn a chance as it turned out to be a riveting read.

Burn for Burn follows three main characters; Lillia, Kat and Mary. Mary is the shy one, and she's very ambiguous throughout most of the book. In many ways, she reminded me of myself. Kat is the kick-ass one, who won't take bull from no one. Lastly, there's Lillia. Miss Popularity, who seems to have it all. Each character is intent on getting revenge and, really, they don't care how they get it.

I really liked all the three main characters. They each have their own distinct personality, which makes them easy to separate, so you can tell which protagonist you're following, as the chapters alternate between the three girls. The supporting cast of characters are just as well rounded and fleshed out as the three main roles are, so you don't feel as if you're reading yet another generic character with no back story or back bone.

Throughout the book, I loved reading how the three girls plotted their revenge. At first, the way the three protagonists went about their revenge was pretty petty; switching face creams so a guy gets acne etc, but as the plot developed, the girls become more and more daring. By the end of the book, the days of face cream are long gone, replaced by things much more sinister.

Overall, Burn for Burn was an enjoyable, fun read, which was very light and just what I needed. I'll definitely be picking up the sequels and reading them, but maybe just not yet.