Tempest - Julie Cross The year is 2009. Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler. Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.

Tempest drew me in from just its synopsis. A novel that involves time travelling? Yes please!

As you may surmise from the comment above, I really enjoyed Tempest by Julie Cross. For me, as a reader, it was refreshing and enjoyable with relatable, modern day characters.

There was so much action packed into this book that I found myself desperate to find out what happened next. The time jumps into the past helped establish relationships between characters and helped me understand certain aspects of the storyline that confused me in the beginning.

It was also very refreshing to have a male protagonist as a main character rather than a female. This allowed more depth into the character of Jackson and showed that not all female authors write from a female perspective. The writing was wonderfully done and I really enjoyed reading from Jackson’s POV.

Overall, Tempest was a wonderfully written debut and I look forward to reading others writings by Julie Cross.