The Darcys & the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentlemen's Marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters - Marsha Altman A Tale of Two Gentlemen's Marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters

Three days before their double wedding, Charles Bingley is desperate to have a word with his dear friend Fitzwilliam Darcy, seeking advice of a most delicate nature. Bingley is shocked when Darcy gives him a copy of The Kama Sutra - but it does tell him everything he needs to know.

Eventually, of course, Jane finds this remarkable volume and in utmost secrecy shows it to her dear sister Elizabeth, who goes searching for a copy in the Pemberley library...

By turns hilarious and sweet, The Darcys & the Bingleys follows the two couples and the cast of characters surrounding them. Miss Caroline Bingley, it turns out, has such good reasons for being the way she is that the reader can't help but hold her in charity. Delightfully, she makes a most eligible match, and in spite of Darcy's abhorrence of being asked for advice, he and Bingley have a most enduring and adventure-prone friendship.

I'd heard mixed reviews on this book, so was hesitant to buy the volume outright. However, as luck would have it, I came across a copy at my local library and decided to take the plunge and read it.

I'm happy that I did!

Though not something I would buy to keep, this book was something that I enjoyed. It had me laughing at many a time throughout because of things that were said (or done) by the characters.

However, despite this, I found that the characters did not stay true to their original counterparts and some of them did things that I would not expect them to at all! Yes, some of the things that happened to the characters were funny - but it just made parts of the book very unrealistic.

Despite these outright flaws in character, I still found this book quite enjoyable. I have now ordered the sequels from the library, but mostly only to find out where the lifes of our beloved characters lead to.