Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen Synopsis: 'The more I know of the world, the more am I convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!'

Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her impulsive behaviour leaves her open to gossip and innuendo. Meanwhile Elinor, always sensitive to social convention, is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment, even from those closest to her. Through their parallel experience of love—and its threatened loss—the sisters learn that sense must mix with sensibility if they are to find personal happiness in a society where status and money govern the rules of love.

Review: Everyone knows the love stories of Sense and Sensibility. Either they know them because of the films, because they have heard of Jane Austen, or they are a Janeite, such as myself.

Sense and Sensibility is Austen’s first published novel. It follows the love lives of Elinor and Marianne Dashwood, two sisters who find themselves on hard times when their father dies and their older brother takes over the estate, leaving them, their mother and young sister to take up the generous offer of accommodation by their mothers’ relation.

Moving away from the home they have loved to a smaller one has quite an effect on the love lives of these two sisters. Both of them find their hearts and their true loves, as well as much more in between.

Sense and Sensibility is just as good as Austen’s most well known work Pride and Prejudice, and I therefore urge you to read this most beloved classic.