A Great and Terrible Beauty

A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray Synopsis: It's 1895, and after the suicide of her mother, 16-year-old Gemma Doyle is shipped off from the life she knows in India to Spence, a proper boarding school in England. Lonely, guilt-ridden, and prone to visions of the future that have an uncomfortable habit of coming true, Gemma's reception there is a chilly one. To make things worse, she's been followed by a mysterious young Indian man, a man sent to watch her. But why? What is her destiny? And what will her entanglement with Spence's most powerful girls—and their foray into the spiritual world—lead to?

Review: I love historical fiction. It’s a genre that has always grabbed my attention.
So why did it take me so long to read this book (for it has been sitting on my bookshelves for just over two years?)

Honestly, I do not know. What I do know is that I am very glad that I decided to pick this up from my bookshelves and begin to read it. A Great and Terrible Beauty had me hooked from the beginning right through until the end. Isn’t that what a good book is meant to do?

A Great and Terrible Beauty begins with a BANG! By that, I mean it begins with a murder. And so it begins. Upon the murder of her mother, Gemma Doyle is shipped away from India to an English boarding school, where she uncovers the Order and finds that she has powers beyond what she ever thought. However, in discovering the Order, she also uncovers a diary, a murder and secrets her mother never wished to tell her.

AGATB is a historical fiction book that basically has me begging for more. Time to pick up the next two in the trilogy, methinks!

"There are no safe choices. Only other choices."