Mr. Darcy's Diary

Mr. Darcy's Diary - Amanda Grange Monday 9th September
"I left London today and met Bingley at Netherfield Park. I had forgotten what good company he is; always ready to be pleased and always cheerful. After my difficult summer, it is good to be with him again. ..."

The only place Darcy could share his innermost feelings was in the private pages of his diary...

Torn between his sense of duty to his family name and his growing passion for Elizabeth Bennet, all he can do is struggle not to fall in love.

Mr. Darcy's Diary presents the story of the unlikely courtship of Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy from Darcy's point of view. This graceful imagining and sequel to Price and Prejudice explains Darcy's moodiness and the difficulties of his reluctant relationship as he struggles to avoid falling in love with Miss Bennet. Though seemingly stiff and stubborn at times, Darcy's words prove him also to be quite devoted and endearing - qualities that eventually win over Miss Bennet's heart. This continuation of a classic romantic novel is charming and elegant, much like Darcy himself.

Mr Darcy’s Diary is my first full length novel by Amanda Grange that I have read. Sure, I’d heard of her and her writing and how good it was and all the rest, but I’d only read once short novella that she’d written.

However, I can now remedy that and say “I have read a novel by Amanda Grange,”

Mr Darcy’s Diary is a lovely retelling of Pride and Prejudice that is told from Mr Darcy’s perspective in the form of diary entries. As well as telling the main story arc of the rather turbulent relationship of Darcy and Elizabeth, it also goes into events that happened before or after the main story, allowing the reader to gain some background into how and why Darcy behaves the way he does.

I really enjoyed hearing Darcy’s thoughts on the events that occur in Pride and Prejudice. As a reader, it allowed me revaluate Darcy as a character (even though I love him!) and to see him in a different light. It also made me look at other characters differently, though there was one character *Caroline* that came across even more self centred than I think even Jane Austen herself made her out to be!

Overall, Mr Darcy’s Diary was a delightful read, full of witty lines and beautifully written prose. A lovely retelling of Pride and Prejudice!