The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games  - Suzanne  Collins In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

This was completely awesome!
That was my initial reaction to The Hunger Games on reading the final few words.

I then wondered why it had taken me almost four years to jump on the bandwagon that many of my fellow bloggers have been riding on for years. The truth is, I really don't know.

I love the story arc of The Hunger Games so much! It was so interesting to learn about the day to day life of Katniss, Gale and the others and to read about how much they had to go through on a daily basis just to survive.

The background really helped in understanding why it was so important for Katniss and the other District 12 tribute Peeta to win The Hunger Games - and why they defied the rules.

I'm really not going to write any more. Most people have long read the entire trilogy several times over and so know the story back to front.
I just have one ask - please don't spoil it for a blogger who needs to read the other two installments! Feel free to bash me for not reading the trilogy for so long though!