Pride and Prejudice (Penguin Classics)

Pride and Prejudice (Penguin Classics) - Vivien Jones, Tony Tanner, Claire Lamont, Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice is the first Jane Austen novel I have read, despite the fact her name has been ironed on to my brain for many years. Before reading Pride and Prejudice, I had previously seen all adaptations of the book. I immediatley fell in love with the 1995 BBC BAFTA-winning adaptation, and realized that I desperately needed to read the book before re-watching the version again, so that I could feel the full force of the original book.

I did just that. I read the book, and fell head-long into Jane Austen's Regency world, loving her characters most deeply. The speed of the book is delighful, and much quicker than I inticipated. Pride and Prejudice was published a long while before books such as Wives and Daughters, however, the flow and speed is much quicker than that of Elizabeth Gaskell, a much later writer.

Pride and Prejudice has made me realize what I have been missing in not having read Austen's work sooner, and I most definetly will be purchasing/borrowing copies of her other books as soon as I can.