Friends with Boys

Friends with Boys - Faith Erin Hicks A coming-of-age tale with a spooky twist!

Maggie McKay hardly knows what to do with herself. After an idyllic childhood of homeschooling with her mother and rough-housing with her older brothers, it’s time for Maggie to face the outside world, all on her own. But that means facing high school first. And it also means solving the mystery of the melancholy ghost who has silently followed Maggie throughout her entire life. Maybe it even means making a new friend—one who isn’t one of her brothers.

Funny, surprising, and tender, Friends with Boys is a pitch perfect YA graphic novel full of spooky supernatural fun.

This is my first ever graphic novel and I have to say that I liked it. Up until now, I was wary of graphic novels but Friends With Boys has really changed my attitude.

The artwork within the novel was wonderfully done and very detailed. I was able to appreciate the time and effort it took to draw the panels as well as allow myself to be completely submerged within the novel itself. The panels also helped the story to progress as they showed aspects of the novel that would have been rather “wordy” if actually written into a novel rather than shown through pictures.

I really enjoyed the plot of this book. It was a simple plot, but wonderfully thought out and executed. Yes, the plot did have flaws and, for me, huh!? moments here and there, but overall it was an easy to follow plot that was spread out evenly and not all clumped together.

As for the characters, well, I really liked them. They were so well fleshed out and in many ways were much more modern then I expected them to be. This is a very good thing, as many authors do not flesh out their characters. This then ends with me feeling like I’m reading about the same person, but with a different name and/or hair colour. Not in this graphic novel though!

Overall, I found this novel a fun and quirky read with humour, angst, and a hint of drama. A must for any major graphic novel enthusiast and a lovely introduction to the genre for me.