Across the Universe

Across the Universe - Beth Revis Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone--one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship--tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Review: I’ve never been a fan of science fiction. It just isn’t my typical type of reading material. However I just couldn’t seem to go anywhere without hearing a raving review on this book – so much so that I decided to pick a copy up to see what all the hype was about.

Overall, Across the Universe is a pretty good book. The dual narration, which is split between the two main characters Amy and Elder, is really good and makes the book more interesting than it probably would be if it were to have just one narrator throughout. I also think that the dual narration helps the pace of the book as it is fairly fast paced.

Across the Universe also has a wonderful story arc – which is one of the reasons I picked it up in the first place. I never knew what was coming next and was left guessing right until the very end.

Overall, as a debut novel, Across the Universe is well written and engaging. I will definitely be picking up any other books by this author.