Bloodlines - Richelle Mead The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

Bloodlines is the first book in a new series by Richelle Mead, who also penned the Vampire Academy series.

Like Mead's other series, Bloodlines is set in a school; however, this time Bloodlines takes place in a human school, where Jill, sister of the newly created Moroi Queen, is being protected after an attempt was made on her life.

Personally, I think perhaps Bloodlines blows Vampire Academy out of the water - though of course, the VA series is still awesome! Sydney Sage, an alchemist is now our narrator, taking over from Rose in VA. I must admit that I was a big fan of Sydney in VA, but her personality is brought out more in Bloodlines, and it has made her more endearing and relatable to me - so much so that I now rather like her.

Mead's writing style remains energetic and fast paced - I was always desperate to know what was going to happen next. Character storylines remained constant throughout with many twists and turns. It was hard to figure out what was to happen next!

I thoroughly enjoyed Bloodlines and look forward to the next book in the series!