Hex Hall

Hex Hall  - Rachel Hawkins Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

Where do I start with Hex Hall? Well, how about this: it was great!
A mixture of Harry Potter and Vampire Academy, in my mind. Right up my street..

I loved the premise – a reform school for witches, warlocks, faeries and other magical beings who have allowed their magic to be seen by mortals. It’s quite a new twist on the school genre and very different from the House of Night series, thank goodness.

Rachel Hawkins writing style was fluid and modern and very fast paced which was wonderful and kept me glued to the page, desperate to find out what happened next to the characters. For me, there were so many unexpected goings on throughout the book and many twists and turns that I didn’t see coming – then again, I’m useless at foreseeing events in books!

The characters that Hawkins has developed, such as the main character Sophie and her best friend – vampire Jenna, and of course the love interest Archer are wonderful! They all have very distinct and different personalities as well as their own strengths and weaknesses. It’s so lovely that Hawkins has written characters with flaws – it’s more realistic.

In a nutshell, Hex Hall is a great book with a wonderful plotline that ends with you begging for more.