PIG HEART BOY - MALORIE BLACKMAN Cameron is thirteen and desperately in need of a heart transplant when a pioneering doctor approaches his family with a startling proposal. He can give Cameron a new heart — but not one from a human, one from a pig. It’s never been done before. It’s experimental, risky and very controversial. But Cameron is fed up with just sitting on the side of life, always watching and never doing. He has to try — to become the world’s first pig-heart boy.

I remember seeing the BBC adaptation of the novel Pig Heart Boy many years ago, when I was about nine or ten years old. It quickly grabbed my attention and I totally loved it!

So, picking up the novel itself, I think I was expecting the same thing; for the book to grab my attention right from the start. I think my hopes were a little too high for the novel maybe (especially as I'd seen the adaptation before reading the book it was based upon) as I found myself plodding through the book rather than flying through it.

On the plus side, there were parts of the book that made me smile and really think about what's important in life. On the negative side, I just think that the plot is perhaps a little too slow paced (or I'm too old for this book now, I'm not realy sure).

However, overall, the novel Pig Heart Boy has good morals and ethics within its pages. It demands that the reader truly thinks about what is important in life and to themselves. Due to these facts, I really wouldn't recommend this novel for anyone under the age of around ten or eleven years.